Sunday, January 27, 2008

In-dependence

The water splashed on me. The horizon was never deeper. I stared into the sea; and then into myself. I was sporting torpor in the most fanciful way by standing right in front of the sea, facing it straight! The water splashed again; perhaps, to rejuvenate me. I wasn’t satiated with life then. I wanted to break free from the limiting boundaries. The quest of being self sufficient, independent in all possible ways was the topic of the hour. It was the uncertainty of the future that was riding on me with anxiety and fear as its byproducts. The process was endless.

The waves – they never stopped. They had a timeless charm within that was getting reflected from without. I was still standing. I failed to obviate my stolidity; it just had to surface. It was free now. Yes, quite ironically, my stolidity was free; not any other emotion. It was freer than what freedom is. But was it independent, too? Or was it merely free? The sea is free; but not independent. The sea is not bound by any limits – it’s free. But it certainly depends on the rain cycle to persist – it’s not independent.

Was I the sea? Or was the sea me? Was I really free? Can I ever be completely independent? The sea was biting me in thoughts, just as a cat does to a mouse before swallowing it up. Even the cat is dependent on the mouse. Then, who is self sufficient? Me, you, the cat, the sea; who? Or nothing is? Are all the claims of independence and freedom as superficial as they sound after scrutinizing them? Perhaps, the universe is independent; it envelopes all the dependence in a darkish space to celebrate its own independence. But am I, the minutest fraction of the immensity of the universe, independent? Or as lethal as it sounds – ‘in-dependence’, just as all its other parts?

The water splashed on me. The horizon was never deeper. This time, I splashed my way through the sea; to celebrate a similarity – the state of helplessly being in-dependence!



- Mihir Chitre
mihirmumbaikar@gmail.com

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved it...something that even I wanted to write on, but didn't quite come to conveying it!!
We are all in-dependence!! Great thought..and a good write-up to support it!

Vee said...

real good thoughts!!

Janvi Gandhi said...

genuinely well thought out. This thought comes to us sometime or the other, and you/narrator got it by the sea side. It's amazing how life gives you everything (makes u independent) and takes it all back (and makes you dependent all over again).This is a very universal feeling as well. A cosmic connection to the soul's dependence to the body and vice versa would've been more fuller too.

Partho P. Chakrabartty said...

i can see you have the knack for creating a scene and exploring different ideas by starting off from the scene; this strategy helps in transitions, and your thoughts transition smoothly. however, i have a bit of a problem with 'sporting torpor' - i think the joke in it is a little facetious (the connotations of 'sport' placed alongside 'tormor' create more of a vagueness than either humour or irony).

Also, I am missing the irony in stolidity being free - how exactly is it ironic?

speedaholic said...

i dont think anything can ever be independent.everything has to co exist.the good depends on bad to be good.the good cannot be realised without the bad.each and every element in life is eventually time dependent.we can only be free.but we'll always be depedent.nice write up :).the sea side narrative was really nice.

The S. said...

did you really write that?!

Samir Bellare said...

I'm glad I haven't written anything in this issue. After this cover by the editor, I dont think anyone would like the stuff I write. Mihir, you're taking the magazine to the next level man. Somewhere I would just appear to be a kid. Well, kick my name off!

Partho P. Chakrabartty said...

yes, i agree. i don't think anyone could have written quite like that.

Anonymous said...

u have done a gr8 job in putting forth da reality of life........ but man u have placed me in a dialema!!!!!!!!

u think a lottttt........

Anonymous said...

very well thought n written ...i'm already a fan of ur articles ... even though the high vocabulary troubles me a little...u expressed ur thought very well.

Mamta Pandya said...

wow..mihir...serioulsy simply well written.this one is a real master piece of urs(till date).didnt expect it to be so good.and yaa i agree u just seem to be growing as a writer over here ...keep it up mr.editor.

Unknown said...

well i m sorry if i seem to get a little over ciritical within 24 hrs of praising you .... but really tell me my friend are you trying to IMPRESS us with all those fancy words and trying to create an illusion of depth by unnecessarily trying to show some sort of irony when it doesnt really exist .. i wud love to have a chat wid you about the whole FREEDOM AND INDEPendance issue ...