Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Loser

“Give up!” Raj screamed. “Bravery is better supported by prudence,” he added in an attenuated volume, vacillating around Nikhil.

“Isn’t prudence subjective?” retorted Nikhil.

“It might well be, but this pseudo optimism shall lead you nowhere but to hell. Start accepting the unacceptable aspects of life, my friend. Don’t play games that you are almost certain to lose,” said Raj resting a hand on Nikhil’s shoulder.

“Do I always mold myself at life’s will? Every other day, that bitch comes at you, demanding you to be what it wants, hungry for your peace of mind like a starved dog, and stabbing your happiness gruesomely” said Nikhil intensely. “If I give myself up to every new misery that dawns on me and behave as the situation demands, I would rather be faking personalities. It would be an unbearable identity crisis,” Nikhil articulated.

“If you don’t adapt, be sure of getting terminated,” Raj.

Nikhil smiled, rather sarcastically and said, “The ‘real you’ was terminated right when you changed yourself and adapted to life for the first time, friend. This is probably the zillionth version of Raj that I’m talking to.”

“Perhaps, you are right! But this perennially transiting Raj has always been happier, wealthier and more popular than the constant you, hasn’t he?” countered Raj.

“Well,” said Nikhil with a cryptic grin.

“My friend,” Raj broke the silence. “My dear friend, please revisit your thoughts and refrain from what you plan to do tomorrow. I don’t want to lose you. Please, for my sake.” Raj pleaded, completely changing his tone.

“I know I shall die. Even a miracle is unlikely to act as my savior tomorrow. But as you know, I hardly care. I want to fight for what, I have always believed, is right,” Nikhil said in the same tone and got off his chair. “Nonetheless, my bloody optimism silently hopes for a more capable miracle,” smilingly said Nikhil, stepping towards Raj. And for the first time his voice dampened.

“I shall miss you in heaven’s delight; I shall miss you in hell’s torment. I shall miss the 25 years of the most sacred bond called friendship that we have shared. Where ever they take me, I shall miss you, my friend!” he said. “I wish we could stay as we are for eternity, but it’s just that the destiny is not on my side. Perhaps, I can’t prevent this change from taking place. Perhaps, I’m the loser between the two of us,” Nikhil added as he winced back, shed a couple of dry tears, and then tightly hugged Raj.

“Hallowed be thy name!” Raj stated, without much of an emotion, and left the room, without gathering the courage to look into his best friend’s eyes, probably, for the last time.


- Mihir Chitre
- mihirmumbaikar@gmail.com

No comments: