Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Rise and Fall of My Fantasy

Fantasy! As I came to think of it first, the word painted pictures of extraordinary characters studded with supernatural powers and pictures of ravishing women flaunting their bodies in minimal clothes, in front of my eyes. Though, as I gave it a deeper thought, many more aspects of the word invaded my mind in a short while. I observed that the very definition of the word fantasy has seen many changes in its dimensions with an increase in the number of days I have lived.

‘Fantasy’ once visited me with characters that outgrew realism and with an aura that exuded extravagance. It would be colourful and splendid and exorbitant. It was boundless. The only thing that stood between my fantasy and reality was time, which again was a fantasy (or perhaps, the only reality?). As a kid, I always believed that I were soon going to actualize the world of my fantasy, where everything was ruled by my dreamy, juvenile fanaticism, and I had the right to turn any ‘X’ to ‘Y’ at my will. In fact, then, I wouldn’t know why fantasy was fantasy and not reality. But I would always embellish my fantasyland with the most spectacular inputs I could think of, and would try and get a queer compensation for the much desired things that I could not experience in reality.

For me, fantasy has always been a way to live through a world that is unlikely to be actualized but, at the same time, is craved for. Over time, fantasy has permitted me to live in a specious world and satisfy some of my unrealistic desires at a superficial level with a remarkable consistency. In short, sweet fantasy has been my most lethal weapon against the harsh reality. Now, ‘how close can fantasy get to reality?’, ‘Can fantasy be perceived entirely as reality at a level of extremely high intensity?’, are questions whose answers range vast and are pretty controversial; but the concept can surely enable one to design his own world of mystic and permit him to be temporarily satiated with it by using dilatory strategies to avoid reality.

Today, life tells me that I am grown up enough to stop fantasizing. I see darkness scattered over every aspect of my life. Though I try and digest the fact as a byproduct of the austere process of growth and maturity, melancholy phases become unbearably long and torturous at times. A minor savior in such times is again my good old friend whom this article is about. And today, unlike my good old definition, fantasy isn’t about extravagance at all. Today, fantasy is just a true smile on my face with the anachronistic innocence that’s lost pointlessly in the course of time. It’s just a smile, a pristine smile! But unfortunately, now it’s fantasy; and by my definition, it’s the thing that is craved for but cannot simply be actualized.



- Mihir Chitre
mihirmumbaikar@gmail.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u did a gr8 job n putting forth wat teenagers usually do(dreamin). u kept forward da reality in a very beautiful way.....

Anonymous said...

People should read this.