Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Playground

The sun was luminous; hot was the afternoon.
I walked and I walked more.
Thought I had a companion, thought I had a friend along.
But my exhausted mind was going rather wrong.

It was my usual road.
But today, I could sense some difference.
Today, my psyche seemed restive.
For shadow and contentment, on a bench I sat down.
Took rest for a moment and then I started looking around.
On the right there was a skyscraper – conventionally attractive.
I did not show much appreciation and turned my head towards the left.
Much to my amusement there was that archaic playground.

The early morning play in the winter;
with sweaters of fun and jackets of joy.
Wonderful evenings and astonishing nights,
The moon lit beauty of a fantastic site.
A paroxysm of nostalgia took place, all this came running back,
as time began to follow the reverse track.

My eyes sensed colours – of the mesmerizing past.
My nose smelled a spirit – the fragrant teen spirit.
My ears heard a voice – of my naïve, little self.
And I lived the same moments for the second time – A summary of my precious memory!

- Mihir Chitre
mihirmumbaikar@gmail.com

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nicee.. but knowin u, this is certainly not ur best!

Anonymous said...

Nice one..I wish you had uploaded your other poem though..I liked it better!! Close on the heels to becoming Chitre Junior in the world of literature, eh?

Anonymous said...

Not great at all.

Mamta Pandya said...

Good effort & well written. As i haD told u earlier i always liked ur poem more.....GREAT GOING...!!!!!

Anonymous said...

The idea behind this poem is amazing!
Didn't like the first stanza much and the first half of the second stanza...because of the use of words...
'Much to my amusement there was that archaic playground.' From this line onwards though, the poem gains momentum...The way you have spun your poem around nostalgia by showcasing a young adult's feelings towards his childhood's playing ground is commendable...
Really liked the last few lines!