Sunday, December 30, 2007

One Day

One day, I’ll wake up and say to myself,
‘Hey Joey,
You too can go on with life just as they do.
You too can make merry without much ado.
You too can have fun and not feel guilty.
Colours after all are colours; they don’t make you filthy.
You too have the right to be touched and loved
You don’t deserve to be pushed and shoved.
Even you’ll be noticed; it’s just a matter of time.
And you won’t no longer be treated like dust and grime.’

They taught us in school we’re all the same
Then why on this country I’ve got no claim?
Why should I always be the one to strive?
Why must I fight to exist when they’re all alive?

One day, I want to be able to tell my children,
‘Hey kid,
Your father was mighty and fearless.
For trivial things like colour he couldn’t care less.
All his youth, he bore them without complaint,
But when he got old, he couldn’t take the pain.
To give you your rights, he fought with all his might.
He worked day and night to make things more bright.
He lived a life without much disgrace.
He put in his best to make your world a better place.’

Why can’t they just let me live the way I want to?
Why can’t I make merry without much ado?
They say I’m dark and don’t deserve a good life.
They say I’m someone only worthy of strife.

One day I will fight with all my might.
One day I will fight for all that’s right.
One day I will wake up and pat myself.
One day I will narrate stories to my children.
One day I want to tell them – all them whites
That the dark skin is the one that has seen the most light.



- Divya Shetty
divya_infinity@yahoo.com

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Indeed the most unusual take on the theme in this issue! One can say, "Someone once famously said..." and then quote the last line of your poem: "The dark skin is the one that has seen the most light." The voice that you have adopted in the poem, that of a person - oppressed, yet defiant, dignified and hopeful - comes close to the kind of voice one hears in poems by other famous African-American poets like Langston Hughes. The simple rhyme also adds to this effect. A nice poem and you can certainly "pat yourself", considering that this was your maiden attempt!

Wishing you a year of more writing and personal achievements!

Vee said...

beautiful!!
i agree with what siddesh says about the similarity to langston hughes!a huge compliment in itself,girl!
way to go!

Janvi Gandhi said...

What strikes me the most about the poem is it's message. Not that the poetic rhythm is overshadowed by it. It has a very strong and pertinent feel about it. Nice work! Didn't think it was your maiden attempt at all!

Anonymous said...

News : A poetic thinker is born on the FRW stage.

After 'My Little Princess', this is your best post according to me. I, for nuts, can't believe that it has come from a first timer.

The entire idea is thought provoking (ideal for the FRW setup). Nonetheless, the way you have put it in, is very good. The rhyme seems forceful at times like, "They say I’m dark and don’t deserve a good life.
They say I’m someone only worthy of strife." and a couple of other occasions; but the poem conveys a lot. And, to me that's what is the purpose of writing.

Few things that you may want to improve on, the next time you write a poem are:

1) It's length. (Reduce it for heck's sake.)

2) Try and eliminate the odd forceful rhymes.

Otherwise, the poem is really nice. The last stanza is fantastic.
You have a bright future as a poet.

speedaholic said...

hey nice poem.conveys the message without sounding preachy.whose joey :P ?i agree with the critic.after my lil princess this is ur best.hope to c more good stuff from u

Samir Bellare said...

hmmmm...my little princess growing up there....very nice...message conveyed....gr8 poetry....make it a forward and send it to everyone....put it on your about me instead of "18 till i die"!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys!
@Sid..I read Langston for the first time after your comment and one particular poem (Don't remember the exact name of it) did kind of have some similarities! Thanks
@ Pallavi...Thanks a lot!
@ Janvi..coming from u, it means a lot! I have developed a strong liking to ur writing!
@ Critic: Thanks..I know the ryhme seems forceful at times, but u shud hv seen it in its first draft..It was worse! lol...
@ Harshal: you are the hero of this issue man!
@ Samir : lol..